“No writer has any special insights into nutrition which are not known by a substantial part of the scientific community. Magic and sensational diets are nothing more than exaggerations of one facet of nutrition at the expense of another, often to the detriment of the willing victims.”
The information on Diet Database is compiled from many different reputable sources of nutrition information which you’ll find listed below.
- Perry, Bruce W. Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media, 2012. Print.
- Ross, Don. Food and Nutrition. Jaipur, India: Oxford Book, 2010. Print.
- Erdman, John W., Ian MacDonald, and Steven H. Zeisel. Present Knowledge in Nutrition. [Washington, DC]: International Life Sciences Institute, 2012. Print.
- McGuire, Michelle, and Kathy A. Beerman. Nutritional Sciences: From Fundamentals to Food. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2006. Print.
- Summerfield, Liane. Nutrition, Exercise, and Behavior: An Integrated Approach to Weight Management. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning, 2012. Print.
- “Adult Obesity Facts.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 13 Aug. 2012. Web. 30 May 2013.
- “Heart and Stroke Association Statistics.” Heart and Stroke Association Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 May 2013.
- Atkinson, F. S., K. Foster-Powell, and J. C. Brand-Miller. “International Tables of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values: 2008.” Diabetes Care 31.12 (2008): 2281-283. Print.
Other reliable sources of nutrition information adapted from (4).
- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism
- Annual Review of Nutrition
- British Journal of Nutrition
- Clinical Nutrition
- European Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of the American College of Nutrition
- Journal of the American Dietetic Association
- Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)
- Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Nutrition Research
- Public Health Nutrition
- Scientific American
Government and Private Agencies
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Dietetic Association
- American Heart Association
- American Institute for Cancer Research
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Nutrition
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Institute of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic
- National Academy of Sciences
- National Institutes of Health
- NIH Office of Dietary Supplements
- NIH National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- U.S. Department of Agriculture and its Food and Nutrition Information Center
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration